May 25, 2010

The Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter


Lainey Pike can tell you everything you need to know about the people in her family just by letting you know how they died. Her reckless stepfather drove his motorcycle off the highway and caused the biggest traffic jam in years. Her long-suffering grandmother lived through cancer and a heart attack before finally succumbing to a stroke. And Lainey's mother—well, Lainey's mother hanged herself in the basement just days after Lainey's high school graduation.

Now Lainey's five-year-old brother is an orphan and her estranged older sister is moving back home to be his guardian. Meanwhile, Lainey's boyfriend is thinking about having a family of their own, and her best friends are always asking the wrong sorts of questions and giving advice Lainey doesn't want to hear. As she tries to pull away from everything familiar, Lainey meets an intriguing new guy who, through a series of Slurpee's, burgers, and snowballs, helps her to make peace with a parent she never understood.




This book was okay. The characters didn't have much to them and Lainey to me was whiny.

The characters I think were kinda bland and had no depth and no real personality. Lainey was whiny. Vanessa and Collin(brother and sister) were okay but weird. Riley(her boyfriend) was really clingy which annoys me.

The plot was average but was pretty good to read. The ending was weird and not good enough. This took me longer to read then usual which to mean usually means the book is okay but not favorite.

Overall I did not like the characters that much. They were just okay. The plot was average and not a very good ending.

I was really looking forward to reading this book but I have to say I was disappointed.

I would still read the book. It was pretty good but the characters and plot fell flat for me. I did enjoy readingit just it did not live up to my liking.

3 out of 5

No comments: